Okay, not exactly last, but I needed a catchy title; so sue me it works!
As you know, Jon has been mobilized with a unit from Washington and is headed overseas for about a year. Let me start by saying, I knew what I was signing up for when Jon and I decided to get married. I was fully aware of the fact that the Army could send him away at any time. Doesn’t make it suck any less. There, I said it. And I swear, the next person to tell me that Kuwait is a vacation deployment, so help me…! Think Martin Lawrence in Blue Streak:
We got up the morning he left to find that Jon’s parents and brother and sister-in-law, Jacob and Kristie, had put flags up in the front yard as a send off. It was wonderful! Jon was touched that they wanted to show how proud they are of him.
If you look closely at the house to the left, you can see that our neighbor, Gary, put his flag too. We were so moved by this show of solidarity. Our neighbors are awesome!
The kids said their goodbyes at the house. We felt it would be easier for them to see him off from a familiar place instead of the airport. Jon gave each of us a blessing just before we left and it was incredible and heartbreaking at the same time.
This Sunday marks one month down. The kids really miss their Daddy, but we do the best we can with regular phone calls and Skype. And we have a little photo album for Taysum mostly filled with pictures of him and his dad. It’s working! He still remembers him!
In spite of some not-so-minor paperwork snafus at the base’s finance office that left us without a paycheck for nearly a month, we’re doing okay. Not great, I won’t lie, but we’re okay.
And in case anyone is counting (ahem, me), today is Day 28. *sigh*
XO,
What a touching tribute to Jon with all the flags! You guys are always in out thoughts and prayers we love ya tons hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel! We have done that twice and are getting ready for a third time. It is never easy. Having pictures and talking to and about him is the best way to get through it. You can do it! It doesn't matter where they go, it is hard. Just have faith, in him, in you and him as a couple and in the Lord. And your kids will do fine. Even if they don't remember everything, when he comes home and see that you love him and he is there, they warm up and it will be like he never left. I am a text, call, IM away if you need a shoulder who knows all about it.
ReplyDelete